Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Salma Hayek breastfed an African baby

Salma Hayek breast feeding frenzy in Africa

According to an article from Salon.com, Salma Hayek was being filmed by a “Nightline” camera crew on a recent humanitarian mission in Sierra Leone, when she came across the starving baby of a woman unable to breast-feed. She pulled out her own breast on camera and nursed the baby.

Salma Hayek, who is still breast-feeding her 1-year-old daughter, explains her decision simply: “It’s about women sticking together and we really need to help the children in any way we can.”

A colleague at the Post-Dispatch sent me an email about the video, saying: [There is a] broader discussion about whether someone would feed another woman’s child. I imagine there would be all kinds of health concerns about transmission of substances from the mother’s breast milk to the child, and perhaps vice versa, besides the social/cultural proprieties. Although that’s basically what “wet nurses” used to do generations ago.

I nursed each of my children and - to be perfectly honest - if I saw a starving baby, I might have asked the mother if she wanted me to nurse him or her. (If there was no other nearby source of nutrition available). But it does seem kind of unsettling to nurse another woman’s child. Would you have done what Salma Hayek did?

Salma Hayek Breastfeeding African Baby Boy

Salma Hayek Breastfeeding African Baby Boy - Salma Hayek breastfeeding African baby picture and video are here.Salma Hayek did a charity trip to Sierra Leone ,Africa recently where she breastfed a baby boy whose mother had stopped lactating.
Hayek who has one-year-old daughter named Valentina told ABC’s Nightline:

“The baby was perfectly healthy, but the mother didn’t have milk.” “He was very hungry.” “I was weaning my daughter Valentina, but I still had a lot of milk that I was pumping, so I breastfed the baby. When he felt the nourishment, he immediately stopped crying.”





Related News :

Salma Hayek Breastfeeding

Salma Hayek Breastfeeding

Jennifer Garner - Welcome Baby Girl !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment